Be Successful: Allow Yourself to Grow
There's an old adage, No Pain, No Gain. I've used this frequently throughout my life, whether during physical, professional, or academic training. You see, I've always believed good things come through hard work. If something comes too easily, you're not stretching and therefore, you are likely not reaching your full potential. You've felt it; that anxiety when you are about to start something new - a job, school, parenthood! That old imposter complex creeps up on you. So, how do you get beyond this? How do you grow and allow yourself to push beyond the limits you have set for yourself? I've thought long and hard about this and here are a few things that have worked for me.
1. Recognize that most of the things we learn in life take time. We didn't learn to walk in a day. We didn't earn our degrees in one day. So why do we expect ourselves to reach perfection immediately on the job? It takes time.
2. Allow that you will make mistakes. You're human, and as we said in #1, it takes time. Most of the really great lessons I've learned in my life came through mistakes. There is NOTHING that will make me stop and learn faster than doing something wrong. The more public, the better the lesson.
3. Don't be afraid. Would you rather be afraid and not try, or try and succeed? Two and a half years ago, I took the biggest leap of faith in my life by giving up a secure life in Washington, D.C. to return to Seattle. And guess what? It all worked out perfectly! I achieved every goal I set for myself. Sure, I had some doubts. Sure, there were times I second guessed. But I would rather have tried and failed, than not to have tried at all, living with the big question all my life. "Could I do it"? I took the risk and I have my answer. YES!
4. Accept feedback. Find one or two trusted advisors who will be honest with you. Many friends will placate you with atta boys, but what you really need is people who will be honest with you and give you the feedback you really need to keep growing. I remember with gratitude every time someone has given me tough feedback. It stung at the time, but it left me with the awareness I needed to grow, and the knowledge that someone cared enough about me to provide it.
5. Don't be afraid! Fear does nothing for you, but inhibit you and your growth. Sure, a little humility goes a long way and I believe in it, but don't let your fear paralyze you. Go for it! Fake it 'til you make it. You might just surprise yourself!
I believe we have just this one life to live on this journey. And that final destination? It's a glorious place where you can look back on your life, know that you never gave up, kept reaching for your dreams and maybe, just maybe, you allowed them to come true!
Don't wait. Get started on your dreams now. Book your complimentary 15 minute consult with Andrea now.
Andrea's passion is to see you achieve your professional dreams. Whether you are a corporate leader seeking leadership development for your employees or an individual seeking guidance in building your career or preparing for retirement, she will coach you to success.