I was looking through some posts from last year and found this one still applicable, so resharing for the new year.
It's that time of year again when we make resolutions that we hope will improve our lives. Lose that extra 10 pounds, drink less alcohol, eat healthy. All good resolutions. But we all know we'll be back off the wagon by Cinco de Mayo. How about this year, will you do something truly life changing? Something that WILL make a LONG TERM improvement in your life? While some of you may be lucky and currently working your dream job, most are not. If you're one of those wishing you loved going to work every day, but dreading your current situation, make it your resolution to change it. Yes, that's right. The perfect job IS waiting for you out there. You need to find it.
In both my work with leadership development and job coaching, I see people every day who are in a job that suits them so well, inspires them so much, that the word 'work' barely comes into their vocabulary. You can too.
So, where do you begin?
1. First you need to figure out what that new job looks like. What is it that you're 'meant' to do. I wrote a blog one time about doing 'Do What you Cannot Not Do". It's powerful stuff. You need to start there. If you don't know what that looks like, hire a good career coach who will help you discover what you're meant to do.
2. Brush up your resume. Get that tired old outdated document out of the computer files and bring it up to date. Resumes look different today than they did 15 years ago. You've accomplished things that need to be reflected there. Again, a job coach can help you create a resume that will get you invited in for interviews.
3. How's your LinkedIn profile? Is it branded well? Do you know what you should be doing in LinkedIn EVERY DAY to be noticed? This is the real key to a successful job search. Understand what LinkedIn can do for you and it WILL happen.
4. What companies in your area would be a good culture fit for you? Make a list. Discover who your contacts are in those companies and schedule some informational interviews.
5. Network, network, network. Simply get out there, both online and in person, and connect. Let people know what you want.
6. Interview - nail it! There's a lot of literature out there about interviewing techniques. Find someone to help you prepare.
7. Learn about negotiating. It's not only ok, it's pretty much expected. Don't be afraid. Do your homework on compensation, prove your value, and get what you deserve.
There you have it! A 7-step plan to change your life by making a different kind of New Year's Resolution. Good luck! I wish you all happiness, health, and satisfaction in your work.
Don't wait. Get started on your dreams now. Book your complimentary 15 minute consult with Andrea now.
Andrea's passion is to see you achieve your professional dreams. Whether you are a corporate leader seeking leadership development for your employees or an individual seeking guidance in building your career or preparing for retirement, she will coach you to success.