It’s summertime. I get it. Time for vacations, lazy days hanging around, maybe even getting projects done around the house. Sure, that’s all very true. But, if you are thinking of changing jobs before the end of the year, THERE IS NO BETTER TIME THAN NOW to get started on your job search. You don’t want next Summer to roll around and still be stuck in that same job.
There are some great reasons why you should start brushing up your resume and LinkedIn profile, network and do some interview prep NOW. Here are some of my favorites:
1. Yes, work slows down a little for most people. And, that means things are a bit relaxed and that hiring manager you wanted to meet with for an informational interview might just be more available, and more willing to spend time with you.
2. If there is a necessary vacant position, the company will continue to seek to fill it. Many jobs don't go on Summer hiatus and the need to fill it remains high.
3. Things are a little quieter at your job, lots of people are away on vacation, making it a little easier for you to get away from the job to conduct your search.
4. Plenty of people take the Summer off from job hunting. Take advantage of the fact there is less competition, and stand out in a smaller crowd.
5. And don't forget all those parties and bbqs that are so plentiful in the Summer. Use those opportunities to network. You never know who's going to show up that might be a great connection to a new job.
6. Companies are eager to fill open positions in September and early October to ensure they are filled before the Winter holiday season starts. I’ve seen so many jobs filled in September. If you wait until September to start the job search, you’ll miss this very short window of opportunity.
So, yes, by all means, take advantage of the sun and fun of summertime, but keep the job search active. You'll stand out from a much smaller crowd, and come fall when the weather turns, you might just find yourself in a new job that you love!
Andrea's passion is to see you achieve your dreams. Whether you are a corporate leader seeking leadership development for your employees or an individual seeking life and career changes, she will coach you to success.