I was revisiting some articles I wrote during the holidays last year and this one still resonates with me so I thought I would repost.
Yes, the holidays are upon us, recruiting activity has slowed, and you're not getting as many responses as you'd hoped. So, what do you do to keep yourself motivated in your job search and feel like you're still making progress? Two simple words: Networking and Planning!
NETWORKING: The holidays are a great time to network. You're already out at parties meeting new people and catching up with those you already know. That's a great opportunity to share your job search. Let people know what skills you offer and what kind of job you're looking for. Give them your business card (yes, you've had one made for your search, yes?) and offer to follow up with those who show interest. You just never know who might come across a need for someone just like you!
PLANNING: When you're not out networking, use your time constructively to plan your marketing campaign. I tell clients all the time that during their job search, they are project manager, salesperson, advertising manager, and marketing pro.
Here's how to develop your campaign:
1. Create an Excel spreadsheet
2. Label columns for: company, your contact, their position, phone number, email, any other names of contacts/referrals at company, date contacted, notes field, follow up date. Feel free to add any other columns for information you wish to track.
3. Start filling out the table with as many pieces of information as you can think. Don't worry about filling out every field. For some, you might only have a target company. For others, you may have a contact. Just complete what you can to get started.
4. Commit to working the list every day. Add a company, add a contact. Complete the fields left empty on your first pass. Research companies on LinkedIn or Glassdoor. Watch job postings, news reports, and journals.
5. Try to add onto the list each day. Use your LinkedIn profile to identify new contacts or new companies to reach out to.
Soon, the holidays will pass, January will be upon us, job postings will increase, and you'll be equipped and ready to kick start your job search with new energy and a much more targeted approach.
Andrea's passion is to see you achieve your professional dreams. Whether you are a corporate leader seeking leadership development for your employees or an individual seeking guidance in building your career or preparing for retirement, she will coach you to success.