Changing jobs is no longer taboo as it once was. In fact, according to Gallup, 35% of us have changed jobs in the past 3 years. For many, changing jobs is the best means of advancement. So, how do you ensure you’re ready for the change/advancement when the time comes? Stay aware of your career and keep making progress.
One of the best ways to ensure you’re advancing is to look at job postings for the next logical career move. What are the requirements listed? Is there anything listed that presents a gap in your experience? Now is the time to begin filling that gap. There are many ways to fill that gap. My favorites are:
1. Ask for additional assignments in your current role that will allow you to learn something new.Many organizations will allow you to stretch in your current role. And who knows, it may open a new door for you at your current employer.
2. Take a course.Online courses abound. Lynda.com, Coursera and many more exist. They are very accessible and available in your favorite medium.
3. Read a book.Yes, all knowledge is contained in books. Whether you read online, electronically or good old paper, you can learn almost anything by reading. You can even listen to an audio book in some cases.
4. Earn a certification. Many jobs require, or at least prefer, certain certifications. What’s missing on your resume? Find where that certification is offered (community college, online) and earn that new credential.
5. Volunteer somewhere and practice the new skill.Non-profit and community organizations gladly accept volunteer help. If you know something of this new skill and need a place to practice, this is a perfect opportunity. Or if it’s a skill like coaching, offer to coach people you know for free, or a minimal cost.
The point is, you shouldn’t wait until you’re in the job hunt for that next great role to start identifying the necessary skills. I’ve seen far too many people stressed, demoralized and at a loss because their dream job is out of reach due to a lack of necessary credentials. Start now, keep moving your career forward, so when that great next step avails itself, you’re ready and able to successfully compete for it.
Andrea's passion is to see you achieve your dreams. Whether you are a corporate leader seeking leadership development for your employees or an individual seeking life and career changes, she will coach you to success.