When I decided to quit my job, sell my home and move myself 2700 miles, back to Seattle 3.5 years ago, I knew I couldn't do it alone. As they say, it took a village.
There was the coach who provided impartial guidance. There was the trusted friend who supported with professional advice and kept my spirits up. There was the friend who offered me a place to land when I arrived. And, there was my boss, who despite having just resigned, hugged me and supported me along the way. Yes, I'd found my tribe. Have you?
We all reach a point one day when we know we need to make a big move. If you're like me, the enormity of that move can be paralyzing. But trust yourself first, then seek people in your life who are there for you; without agenda, without jusdgment, who will simply be there to support you. They can make all the difference in the world.
Here are the things I think are important to consider:
1. No negativity! If someone brings negativity, drama, or drains your energy, this is not someone you need in your tribe. You may not even want them in your life. Surround yourself with positivity!
2. No agendas. Too many people have their own agenda, and try as they might, their agenda will get in the way of yours. My family is a great example. Sure, they wanted me to be happy, but they decidedly did NOT want me to move away. As a result, they weren't involved in this particular life decision.
3. Listen to your gut. You know who the people are in your life who care about you, and bring the best out in you. Include them in your dream.
4. Seek outsiders. Just as I sought out a coach who was impartial and objective, you should too. Find a professional who will support your plans and help guide you there without agenda or objection.
5. Be open to help. As a fiercely independent, New England born woman, I have always had difficulty asking for help. It wasn't until I released myself from that silly notion that my life finally turned for the best and I achieved my dream.
Now, go out and find your tribe! Dream, believe, achieve!
Andrea's passion is to see you achieve your professional dreams. Whether you are a corporate leader seeking leadership development for your employees or an individual seeking guidance in building your career or preparing for retirement, she will coach you to success.